05 August 2010

EMU: Setting The Record Straight

By Dato" Seri Ong Tee Keat himself via his FB profile

On the statement made by PAS MP for Kuala Selangor Dr. Dzulkefly Ahmad raising doubts on the procurement of 38 sets of 6-carriage EMUs, as it claimed that Ong Tee Keat, the former Minister of Transport, ' defended ' the increase in cost, thus it is imperative for me to put the matter in the right perspective, so as to avert any deliberate or inadvertent distortion.

In my earlier blog posting, I did touch upon the difference in the specifications between the 38 sets in question and the 8 sets of 3-rail car EMUs tendered earlier but later cancelled and unawarded. This was done solely based on my knowledge of the difference in specifications when I served as the minister though the direct negotiation and the subsequent award of contract was under the jurisdiction of MOF.

To my understanding, the disparity of technical specifications involved is not as simple as the CCTV and slide presentation panel only like what Dr. Dzulkefly had claimed. In safeguarding the interest of taxpayers, I would suggest that he should have a better grasp of the detail specifications (with real understanding) and the financial implications linked to the urgency of delivery involved.

As I said before, I have no intention to play spokesman for the MOT or any other agency. I am merely guided by my conscience to voice my concern on the matter. To me, any well intentioned move to protect the public interest would only be meaningful if we can get the facts right.

No comments:

Post a Comment