11 October 2010

My loyalty is with the people: Ong Tee Keat

Submitted by webmaster on Mon, 2010-10-11 11:02

When asked where my loyalty is in partisan politics, without hesitation, my answer is “with the people”. Many fellow partisans may just dismiss my response no different from any other political platitude. Nonetheless, I mean it in every sense of my word. After all, politics is not the only platform we can serve the people. When I chose to embark on community work through my participation in non-governmental organisations (NGOs), including Yayasan Bakti Nusa Malaysia, after the MCA re-election in March 2010, I see no reason why political pundits should draw the conclusion that I am likely to quit partisan politics.

I am not perturbed by my critics’ malice in demonising me to the hilt through the media they control, and continuing to dispense their venom and witch-hunting within the MCA. It’s entirely their choice but whether it serves the MCA and people well by so doing, the people will be the ultimate judge.

I believe no media can spin and turn scoundrels into trustworthy leaders, purportedly championing our rights. Not even the daily singing of praises for the morally corrupt and bankrupt individuals can ever blot grave misdeeds that have been continuously irking the public. Those seeking to betray the media’s noble role of the so-called “Fourth Estate” should know that they are no plastic surgeons. In this perspective, the former Soviet’s powerful propaganda organ “Pravda” serves a good lesson for us to learn from.

Amid the rumoured devastation inflicted upon me, I am still what I am. Those in the power corridor can have thousand and one reasons to dislike and to displace me for my outspokenness, but I doubt their multiple subversive manipulations through the power play within MCA that brought me down from the presidency can ever silence me.

Now I have been given an additional task, after having been elected as one of the three vice-presidents of the Buddha’s Light International Association (BLIA), an NGO with an international network sprawling across five continents. With the mandate bestowed unto me by the delegates from 35 countries, I certainly realise this would provide me with a new found platform in actualising my dreams and commitment to the humanity endeavours.

On my home front, partisan politics must be given a bold change, not a mere change of guards in the administration, but more importantly an impactful change in the expectations of the quality of governance within our social fabric. We, the citizens, need to know our rights well before we can exercise it meaningfully and rightfully. Parties from both sides of the political divide are currently obsessed with their respective internal squabbles. They can hardly have time and attention for addressing the people’s needs. Many quarters are now increasingly impatient and intolerant of such political decadence. They want changes. Such calls must be heeded dutifully if the serving politicians are ever guided by their conscience.

I will not remain silent and arm-folded for too long. Neither will I make any hasty decisions on my political destiny as this should always take a back seat while serving the people with a larger picture on my mind.

The current political vehicles remain inert and sluggish on the path of reform despite the rhetorical platitude. Sufficient wake-up calls have been ringing, but unfortunately the key players are still in their deep slumber.

Original Posting http://ongteekeat.net

No comments:

Post a Comment