26 September 2010

"MCA" car plates: Tee Keat shows proof

Husna Yusop
newsdesk@thesundaily.com


SEPANG (Sept 24, 2010): Former transport minister Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat today produced proof that he had rejected a letter written by his senior private secretary asking for vehicle registration plates bearing the letters "MCA" to be reserved for MCA members.

At a press conference held at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport here before departing for Alor Star this afternoon, Ong showed reporters the note, dated March March 16, that he had written on top of the letter.

"On Feb 17 I was still on sick leave after undergoing an operation on my heel. And no decision was made. And I came back for duty in early March.

"I could still remember when my secretary brought the letter to my attention because as usual I would go through all outstanding matters and check them to decide whether to reject or to accept.

"So, on March 16, 2010, I have minute it to my secretary, saying I did not agree with the matter because it was not proper. I also noted that I do not encourage it for other states as well," he said.

On Tuesday, current Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha, who is also MCA secretary-general, had revealed to the press the letter dated Feb 17, 2010 after he was asked to comment about rumours that vehicle registration plates from MCA1 to MCA 9999 were to be reserved for MCA members when the issuance of "MBY" number plates was completed.

Ong also reiterated Kong should have verified the facts before issuing statements on the matter and contacted him for clarification if he was not clear about it.

“I have told him before, he can contact me anytime for explanation on anything. I am always willing to provide him any with the information needed. But to date, he has never contacted me for anything,” he said.

He added that any decision taken by a previous minister could be overridden by the succeeding minister.

Ong also said he reserved the right to institute legal action against Kong as he claimed Kong has resorted to name-calling by calling him a liar. "I feel very disappointed with this name-calling attitude. It does not suit the dignity of a federal minister. It has affected his image."

No comments:

Post a Comment