08 September 2010

Getting an early hearing date for my defamation case by OTK

http://www.ongteekeat.net/
Submitted by webmaster on Mon, 2010-05-17 10:37

A few weeks ago, the Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission (MACC) has cleared me of any wrongdoing with regards to the wild allegations that I have received RM10 million from Dato’ Seri Tiong King Sing.

In the light of this event, I had instructed my lawyers to withdraw the application for an injunction against Dato’ Seri Tiong in my defamation suit against him with no order to costs. Although Dato’ Seri Tiong has not published any further defamatory remark since I have filed my suit, I have been advised by my lawyers that I still have the liberty to file afresh should such a risk arise in the future.

Aside from causing damage to my political career, the wild allegations have deeply hurt me and my family.

I understand that an application for interlocutory injunction has to take place before the trial. Now, with the withdrawal of the interlocutory injunction, we are able to push for an early date for trial in respect of the action for damages.

We are confident that the announcement by MACC will strengthen our case.

I reiterate my earlier commitment that I will donate the amount of damages awarded by the court to charity.

This episode has taught me to be cautious in my endeavour and has further strengthened my conviction to speak out and do what is right despite great obstacles and challenges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment