02 September 2010

Let's save babies, says Tee Keat

Shahrim Tamrin
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 12:41:00


KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat is set to launch a ‘life-saving initiative for abandoned babies’ in his Pandan parliamentary constituency to curb baby-dumping.

“I can’t take it anymore. Lately, we heard of many tragic cases of abandoned babies nationwide and I want to do something to save these precious lives.”

He said he no longer wanted to rue what he could do everytime a new case cropped up. Police statistics showed from 2005 to this month, 472 babies were reported abandoned nationwide. Of this, 258 were dead.

“Enough is enough. Something needs to be done. I'm going to set up a place in my Pandan constituency area for those who don’t want their babies,” he said.

“The plan is at the final phase.”

Ong said his agenda would be similar to the ‘baby-hatch’ programme by Orphan Care, adding Deputy Women, Family and Community Development Minister Senator Heng Seai Kie endorsed it.

“I have discussed with Senator Heng and she supports me. A few non-governmental organisations have also voiced their willingness to help," he said.

“The plan includes legal matters. There’s also a strong possibility the service will be extended to the Klang Valley and other states.”

Ong said they were identifying potential places for the project. “I know this is not going to be an easy ride but I am least concerned if people are sceptical and question my intention not to see the life of a baby ended. If others are not willing to help, let it be me.

"My main concern is the life of the helpless little ones. That’s all I care.”

No comments:

Post a Comment