18 July 2010

Ong Tee Keat finally speak out




NST ~ Sunday 17th July 2010 (Page 18)

You're right, Billy Joel

By Tan Choe Choe

FEW things are definite in politics but as Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat candidly puts it, his brief tenure as president of MCA, the second largest component party of Barisan Nasional, was definitely a "bumpy and rocky" one.

But he is quick to point out that much of the turbulence that surfaced during his leadership was "inherited".

"Immediately after I assumed the presidency, the disquiet, the factionalism that had started well before my time, loomed before me. On top of that, there was the disciplinary case against CSL (Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek). I inherited these, lock, stock and barrel," Ong told the New Sunday Times.

Certainly, he could have chosen not to address some of the issues, like his predecessors before him, but he wanted to start his presidency with a clean slate.

"I was, then, naively ambitious. I thought maybe I could address these issues and resolve them before the next general election."

And so, right after the first day of his presidency, he took them all on. But that's not all. He added the controversial Port Klang Free Zone (PKFZ) project.

"I kept reminding myself that time was running short before the next general election.

"The fact that the party had suffered such a severe electoral setback was in itself a wake-up call and I think any leader, in his right mind, would certainly wish that something be done to burnish the image of the party."

Now, given the benefit of hindsight, Ong said: "Maybe I should not have opened up too many battlefronts at the same time".

But he stands by his actions on the PKFZ project as it is an issue "that's dear to my heart" and he has no regrets over it.

"Yes, it is as Billy Joel said, honesty is a lonely word. I am absolutely convinced that you have to pay a price for what you believe in. Some people may say I am stubborn, if not foolhardy, but as I've said in Chinese, I believe in qiu hao, bu shi tao hao (seeking betterment, not brown-nosing)."

Some detractors claimed he brought up the PKFZ issue to gain political mileage.

"Well, I was party president and minister when the debacle was first brought up. In terms of hierarchy, do you think there was any other higher post I could aspire to achieve?"

Looking fresh and rested since the MCA elections on March 28, Ong was immaculately dressed for the interview.

When pointed out that he looked happier, he laughed and revealed that he had also lost a fair bit of weight.

"Since my defeat in the party elections, I've re-prioritised a few things. First on my agenda is rebuilding my health. The crisis had taken a toll on my health and after my Achilles tendon operation, I needed to recover. I also needed to reposition myself and my mindset, post-MCA."

So he threw himself into his work at the Transport Ministry and his constituency. But then, he was dropped as transport minister during the minor cabinet reshuffle on June 1.

"I was out in the political wilderness. I still am. I'm going back to what I started out 21 years ago, a backbencher."

But he was unfazed by this new setback. He strengthened his focus on his constituency and community work, particularly on a non-governmental platform.

He has also gained more time for his family and hobbies.

But what about friends? Does he have anybody he can still call friends in MCA?

"I'm still enjoying the warm friendship and comradeship of many in the party. I continue to treasure the sincerity of my friendship with the many people I know."

On his former deputy president Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai and Dr Chua, he said: "It's nothing personal."

On the mysterious "third force" that he reportedly said was in play at the last party elections, he said "all have been proven".

"But I don't think it is useful for me to identify or revisit any of this. There's no point for me to cry over spilt milk because what I'm concerned about now is the way forward, for the nation and the party, and, of course, the pursuit of my political ideals. I need to soldier on, even if I am virtually left with nothing but an MP post."

Has he been courted by the opposition?

"Being courted by the opposition... that is nothing new," he said with a shrug, but added: "I don't believe in so-called different patterns of behaviour. I prefer to remain consistent, as you would have no doubt seen in my work before being appointed a minister, after and the subsequent removal. I am still what I am.

"I don't blame the party. It is not the name MCA itself that is good or bad. People judge a party, whether it is up to mark or not, by examining the deeds of the people in it."

But he does want to see a transformed MCA -- one that is more in tune with the needs, aspirations and sentiments of the people.

"The party is just a vehicle, an entity. It was initially established with the good intention of protecting the interests of the Chinese at the time. But I believe there is room for transformation now. We must stay relevant."

He said aging was not something that happened only to human beings, but also parties.

"As a political party, when you are no longer appealing or attractive to the young, then you are heading for trouble. You are no longer relevant. That will eventually spell your decline."

He said MCA remained a race-based party over the years because of its historical background as a Chinese welfare organisation.

"But what I want to see, ultimately, is a party that embraces all races in terms of membership as well as aspirations... that it will one day transcend ethnic and religious barriers."

So, how well does he think MCA will perform in the next general election?

"I can't say because I don't have a crystal ball. But what's for sure is that people are yearning for good governance. I think MCA has to prove its worth and effectiveness within the coalition."

No comments:

Post a Comment